Maryland Medical Marijuana Card
On April 08, 2014, House Bill 881, was approved by the House 125-11 and by the Senate 44-2. Governor Martin O’Malley signed the bill on April 14, 2014, effective June 01, 2014 and active in 2014. The House Bill 881 tasked the Maryland Department of Health and the Natalie M. LaPrade Medical Marijuana Commission, with developing regulations for a patient registry and identification cards, dispensary licensing, regulating processors, settling fees, and creating possession limits. The Commission includes provisions to issue yearly requests for applications from academic medical centers, to operate medical marijuana compassionate use programs in action. The legislation that passed effectively removed all state-level penalties on the use, possession and cultivation of marijuana, by patients who have been issued with a “written or oral recommendation”, by their primary care physician, stating that he or she “would benefit from medical marijuana.” The Maryland Patient Registry fee is has not yet been assigned, and it is to be determined by the Medical Cannabis Commission. The Maryland Marijuana Registry is mandatory, and does NOT accept other state’s registry cards at this time.
The State of Maryland has fully legalized their medical marijuana program, which allows patients to receive a medical marijuana recommendation from a certified physician, and apply for a state-issued Maryland Medical Marijuana Card, permitting the patient to purchase marijuana for medicinal use, as per Maryland state guidelines.
In order to become a legal medical marijuana patient in Maryland you must first have a qualifying condition as outlined by the department of health services and/or department of justice. For a comprehensive list of Maryland’s qualifying medical marijuana conditions, please visit the F.A.Q. section.
Maryland medical marijuana patients are legally allowed to possess a “30-day supply” of medical marijuana. This amount is still to be determined by the Commission. Patients will be able to buy medical marijuana from a licensed dispensary once they are open. The state will issue 94 medical marijuana dispensary licenses throughout the state (two per senatorial district). Maryland will also award and issue 15 cultivator licenses.
HOW TO BECOME A MARYLAND MEDICAL MARIJUANA PATIENT
Becoming a patient in Maryland is a simple two-step process:
(1) Register with the state of Maryland to get your Patient ID# here: https://mmcc.dhmh.maryland.gov/Registry/RegisterPatientCG.aspx?id=2
(2) Obtain a medical marijuana recommendation by meeting with one of our doctors
Some key points to note:
- If you do not obtain your 16-digit MMCC ID by the time of the consultation that is okay. You can simply provide it back to the doctor after you receive it and he will upload your recommendation.
- Out-of-state residents can come to Maryland and buy medical marijuana. In order to do this they need to see and be approved by a medical marijuana physician. There is no residency requirement to be eligible for the Maryland Medical marijuana program, you may apply as long as you have a valid US issued photo ID. Any legal Maryland resident can apply and participate in the program and also any person from out-of-state who is in Maryland for the purpose of receiving medical care can be issued a written certification and obtain medical cannabis.
- Patients must obtain a written certification from a licensed doctor that has recommend medical marijuana in the State of Maryland. It should also be taken into consideration that patients are highly encouraged to establish a bonafide relationship with the physician.
- A medical marijuana card is not required, it is optional. All that is required to purchase cannabis in Maryland is an approval and certification from a licensed physician.
- In order for a patient to become approved into the state’s medical marijuana program, the patient must register with the state of Maryland through the patient portal once it opens up.
What are the qualifying conditions to getting approved?
Patients in Maryland diagnosed with one of the following or falling into one of the several categories are approved for Medical Marijuana through our program:
- Severe, debilitating, or life-threatening medical conditions
- Chronic pain (this means any pain that is ongoing)
- Chronic or debilitating disease or medical condition that results in a patient being admitted into hospice or receiving palliative care
- A chronic or debilitating disease or medical condition or the treatment of a chronic or debilitating disease or medical condition that produces: Cachexia, anorexia, wasting syndrome, severe or chronic pain, severe nausea, seizures or persistent muscle spasms
How high are my chances of getting approved?
Our approval rates are pretty high. We usually like to tell our clients they have a 99% chance of approval through our network. If you are not approved we will refund all your money back.
What do I need to qualify for my medical marijuana marijuana recommendation in Maryland?
To qualify for a medical marijuana recommendation in Maryland you must be over 21 years of age. You DO NOT need to live in the state of Maryland.
Do I have to live in Maryland to receive a recommendation?
No! You can live in any of the 50 states, you just need to show a valid Government ID.
How long does my consultation take?
Consultations generally range from about 10-20 minutes.
What do I do after I am approved and I get my medical marijuana recommendation?
A doctor’s recommendation is all you will need to purchase medical marijuana in Maryland. A physical card is optional. If you’ve already given the doctor your MMCC ID# then there is nothing you need to do, you only need to wait for dispensaries to open. If you haven’t gotten your ID#, simply get this after you are approved and provide it back to the doctor. Then you are done.
Are Maryland Dispensaries Open?
No. Dispensaries are scheduled to open up Summer of 2017.
What can I do with my recommendation until they open?
Buy medical marijuana in other states! You recommendation is accepted in other states where medical marijuana accepts out-of-state patients such as Nevada, Maine, Arizona, Rhode Island, and Michigan.
What is the cost?
Your medical marijuana recommendation is $200.
What if I have more questions?
Our team is working around the clock. You can easily send us a message via chat, or send us an email we can make sure to answer any questions you may have!
MetroXMD will assist you with obtaining all of above and completing the whole process from start to finish, making getting your card as easy as can be! Click on “Get Your Card” to get started. If you have questions then please call us, email us, or chat with us now, we are eager to talk!